Thursday, April 15, 2010

How does your garden grow?

The jury's still out on mine.

I'm kind of starting to think that maybe I was a bit over ambitious when planning my garden. The garden was already there, fenced in, irrigated, and more or less ready to go when we moved into the house. So I just thought that since it was there anyway, we might as well make use of it, all of it, this summer. We had a small garden last year. So what if this is at least 4 times the size, if not more. So what if I could barely keep up with the one last year. I just figured we'd go ahead and plant it all when the time came.

So we went out and got a tiller, compost, manure, some soaker hoses, mulch for the walkways, and TONS of seeds. I've gotten some seeds started in the house, some are already started in the garden. Not a lot though. Probably less than 1/4 of the garden. Most won't be planted for another few weeks still.

So what's the problem, you ask? Well, there really shouldn't be a problem. I mean honestly. I haven't even hardly gotten going yet.

But it's just the weeds!! Where do they come from? One minute it's the dead of winter and we have snow on the ground, no weeds in sight, and then the next day it's spring and there are weeds like nobody's business. I spent 2 hours so far today digging out the weeds, and haven't hadly gotten going. How in the world am I going to keep up with this huge garden, especially after the garden actually starts producing. I guess I'll figure it out! I really don't have a choice at this point!

Thankfully, even though the garden is fenced off, at this house it's part of the main backyard, so the kids come in  and out of the garden "helping" me, and then they go back to playing on the swingset, or in the sandbox, or whatever it is they feel like doing, and then back to the garden, and then back to playing... You get the idea.

As I was weeding the garden today, I felt like maybe there was some lesson to be learned there. Something about staying on top of things in your life so they don't get out of control like the weeds already over-taking my garden, or something else cheesy like that. I don't know. All I know is it looks like I have a lot of time working in the garden to look forward to this spring and summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment