It was funny, but our field trips weren't actually planned to coincide with what we were doing at all. And one of them wasn't even planned!
As I've mentioned, for September we've been doing communities for school. This was our last week and we studied firemen. Well, it just so happened that Lowes was doing a workshop where you got to build a little wooden fire truck. I found out about it on Thursday, we registered, and then we got to go on Saturday! That was the one I hadn't planned. But it turned out great! Not only did C and D each build a fire truck, but they all got little aprons and goggles, and they all got to go in a real fire truck and meet real firefighters! D was so excited!! But bless his heart, he is so shy that when we got to go talk to them, he just wanted to hide behind us. But then when we got in the car he went on and on about getting to see the firefighters! Sweet guy. We did get him up to the firetruck and the girls and I all went inside the fire truck too.

The sun was in D's eyes, but he was having fun hammering!

C and E in front of the fire truck. Look how big the apron is on E!
Our other field trip was actually on Friday, but I decided to do it second because it actually goes with our curriculum for next week! We had been planning to go to the Fair with our homeschool group, but I didn't actually know until this morning that the fair is the theme for school this next month (the curriculum for the next month only comes out a few days before the new month)! So we inadvertently went to the most perfect field trip to kick off our fair study! We had a lovely time. We unfortunately didn't get to see just a ton of animals. It was the first day of the fair so there just weren't many there yet. The petting barn (it wasn't really a zoo LOL) was open. The kiddos got to pet goats, sheep, hold a chick, and look at a camel. (He wasn't very happy so they didn't pet him.) What was a surprise to me was that my kids' favorite part was the exhibits that people had entered! C and one of her friends loved going around and finding all of the Indian girl dolls. There were surprisingly quite a few. They also really liked seeing the things people had hand made-quilts, blankets, clothes, lego models, etc. I was pleasantly surprised about this. I never really liked that part as a child and it made me happy that they did. All in all, we were at the fair for a little over an hour, which was the perfect amount of time.

E gets to tour the fair in style!
As I've mentioned, for September we've been doing communities for school. This was our last week and we studied firemen. Well, it just so happened that Lowes was doing a workshop where you got to build a little wooden fire truck. I found out about it on Thursday, we registered, and then we got to go on Saturday! That was the one I hadn't planned. But it turned out great! Not only did C and D each build a fire truck, but they all got little aprons and goggles, and they all got to go in a real fire truck and meet real firefighters! D was so excited!! But bless his heart, he is so shy that when we got to go talk to them, he just wanted to hide behind us. But then when we got in the car he went on and on about getting to see the firefighters! Sweet guy. We did get him up to the firetruck and the girls and I all went inside the fire truck too.
The sun was in D's eyes, but he was having fun hammering!
C and E in front of the fire truck. Look how big the apron is on E!
Our other field trip was actually on Friday, but I decided to do it second because it actually goes with our curriculum for next week! We had been planning to go to the Fair with our homeschool group, but I didn't actually know until this morning that the fair is the theme for school this next month (the curriculum for the next month only comes out a few days before the new month)! So we inadvertently went to the most perfect field trip to kick off our fair study! We had a lovely time. We unfortunately didn't get to see just a ton of animals. It was the first day of the fair so there just weren't many there yet. The petting barn (it wasn't really a zoo LOL) was open. The kiddos got to pet goats, sheep, hold a chick, and look at a camel. (He wasn't very happy so they didn't pet him.) What was a surprise to me was that my kids' favorite part was the exhibits that people had entered! C and one of her friends loved going around and finding all of the Indian girl dolls. There were surprisingly quite a few. They also really liked seeing the things people had hand made-quilts, blankets, clothes, lego models, etc. I was pleasantly surprised about this. I never really liked that part as a child and it made me happy that they did. All in all, we were at the fair for a little over an hour, which was the perfect amount of time.
The big kids holding a baby chick. They loved it!
No comments:
Post a Comment